The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/can-i-deduct-this-years-interest-as-a-secondary-15244056.aspx

Subject:  Re: Sale of Rental House Date:  6/24/2001  6:46 PM
Author:  gailkay Number:  52050 of 121061

Can I deduct this year's interest as a secondary residence?

Qualified residence interest is interest that is paid or accrued during the tax year on acquisition or home equity indebtedness with respect to any qualified residence..

A qualified residence includes the principal residence of the taxpayer and one other residence (i.e., vacation home) that is used by the taxpayer for a number of days exceeding the greater of 14 days or 10 percent of the number of days during the tax year that it is rented out at a fair rental value. However, if a dwelling unit is not rented at any time during the tax year, such unit may be treated as a qualified residence regardless of personal use.

Or is it still a rental where I can deduct maintenance, depreciation, etc...even though it's been up for sale, not rent?

My conservative response is "no". Although, capital improvements could be added to your basis in the property and reduce the amount of gain you would report on the sale.

Others may have a different take on the situation.

Gail~

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us