The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Cashing in a Traditional IRA Date:  6/24/2001  9:40 PM
Author:  Crosenfield Number:  52053 of 127613

If you made non-deductible contributions to your IRA over the
years, you need the total, which should have been reported to the
IRS annually. That portion of your IRA is not taxable.
If it is all or partly deductible, then you will pay tax on
the amount withdrawn. Capital gains, the source of the money,
makes no difference. Except for any non-deductible contributions,
it is all taxed as ordinary income.
Best wishes, Chris
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us