The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Short Term Trading

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-must-repeat-this-felt-more-like-just-gambling-15257278.aspx

Subject:  Re: SONS Date:  6/26/2001  4:14 PM
Author:  Calabogie Number:  6018 of 36748

I must repeat this felt more like just gambling then investing.

Eddie, it depends on what type of "gambling" you engage in. I played poker at one time in my life but I most emphatically DID NOT gamble! I played high stakes poker with people who weren't nearly as dedicated to it as I was and I NEVER took chances. I also NEVER left profit on the table including one incident where I actually had to take the note on another players car because I wouldn't leave until I had been paid. As an aside, that's why I stopped playing poker except for penny ante games. Too much guilt.

It's not like yanking the lever on a slot machine but it is a lot like poker. You know the odds, you have the information, you can do the research, and you can find out all about the players. There is an occasional wildcard in the deck (unexpected bad news or a bad reaction to other news) but that's a part of life, not gambling.

Anyway, that's just my take on it. Regardless of how you did it or what you feel, it was a darn good trade!
Copyright 1996-2017 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us