The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/md-grabhorn-cfp-replied-to-my-message-re-pension-15306781.aspx

Subject:  Re: Pension Plan Date:  7/4/2001  7:40 PM
Author:  janicedowden Number:  7038 of 19371

MD Grabhorn, CFP, replied to my message re Pension benefits, providing a link to www.pensionrecovery.com, a service for professionally reviewing pension benefits. Thanks, MD - if I don't get comfortable with the numbers soon, I will contact them.

So far, I have found that my company shorted me one month of service - doesn't sound like much, does it? But it means at least another $700+ in lump-sum benefit. They have agreed to change that.

I also questioned the base pay they used (last 3 yrs), but they explained where some types of "bonuses" paid to me did not count in my earnings calculation. I'm not happy about it, but found it in the company "rules", so okay.

I'm now trying to find out why the lump-sum amount will only yield the expected monthly benefit for 25+ years instead of the 30+ years that 1983 GAM table shows for 55 yr old female. (FYI - I make great use of the calculators on www.ctbatlanta.com/calculators.html) Difference is in $9,000 range!

It's sad when you think about how many people probably never even question the figures. Will advise of my results. Thanks for all the replies.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us