The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Inheritance Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/id-like-to-add-to-this-thread-although-it-wont-15342862.aspx

Subject:  Re: Aunt changed the will, now what? . Date:  7/11/2001  6:35 AM
Author:  Trini209 Number:  3129 of 5741

I'd like to add to this thread (although it won't help in the case in question), that one of the major advantages of a living trust is that it is much more difficult to contest than a will. If you can forsee that certain relatives will be unhappy at their exclusion from inheriting your assets, a trust is the way to go. A will is public information, and anyone who wants to see its terms can do so after it is probated - there is no public access to a trust.

After the death of a relative of mine (I had cared for the relative for years and was trustee of her trust) another relative asked me what she was inheriting. I said nothing. She said she wanted to see the will. I said there was no will. She said how could that be. I pointed out what county the deceased had lived in, explained that if there was a will, she had access to it through the probate court in that county, and told her that she would learn that no will had been probated. End of story. I have no idea if she pursued the matter - if she did, she learned that I had told nothing but the truth.

Trini
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us