The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Inheritance Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/feeling-a-littel-sensitive-are-we-jafo-15356552.aspx

Subject:  Re: Aunt changed the will, now what? . Date:  7/12/2001  4:44 PM
Author:  JAFO31 Number:  3135 of 5741

Feeling a littel sensitive are we?

[JAFO]

<<<<<First, my condolences on the loss of our uncle.

Second, sound suggestions from all the other posters.

Now I would like to note the suggestions of taking advantage are all coming from one side and are based upon knowledge of the contents of the 1992 will. Curious as to how this is so well known because many people do not publicly acknowledge their intended distribution.

In addition, if one had no knowledge of the 1992 will, would this distribution be perceived as that far off. Is it posssible that your aunt (the deceased's sister) and her children (his nieces) assisted with his daily living and care for 8+ years while you and your sister, for whatever reason (including simply a distant residence) spoke to him infrequently and saw him even less? Or is it possible that you are in line for assets eventually from your parents that his other nieces are unlikely to inherit any other significant assets?

IOW, we have heard only side of the story and there could be perfectly logical reasons (or less than logical reasons but not rising to the level of undue influence or mental incompetence) that wholy explain the situation. In addition, does the current will have a provision WRT to challenges?>>>>

plattre: Number 3130

"Thanks for the responses.

Most seem to be on target, except for the hypotheses of JAFO31 that are off the wall guesses, which can easily happen when you are only given a paragraph or two summary of a problem.

But, what is more outlandish is the fact that his/her ideas have garnered two recommendations!"

My condolences and approvals of the earlier posts are off the wall hypotheses? Wondering how you knew the contents of the 1992 will is a question, not a hypothesis. Noting that we have heard only one side of the story is a fact, not a hypothesis.

"Since I first posted our problem, a selected attorney has written to the estate lawyer, who had nothing to do with writing the '92 or '98 wills, and informed him that we would like authorizations be signed by our Aunt allowing us to make inquiries."

Glad you hired an attorney. Not entirely sure why you need any authorizations from your aunt, unless possibly she is the executor and is authorizing the attorney who wrote the wills to speak to you and to disclsoe client confidences, even though you are not that attorney's client.

"They have ten days from date of letter to respond, so we'll see how this opening salvo goes."

Good luck with both the battle and the war.

plattre: "plattre scolds again!

We may or may not have a case. We may be drubbed and be Supreme Fools.

But, I was inferring that the ideas he/she were expounding, and then getting praise for (I see he/she is up to three now too. Maybe I'll make it four.), do not exist in our case."

Yeah, the idea that there might actually be two sides to the story is just off the wall and desrving of condemnation instead of praise.

"Because one posts frequently does not mean they know what the hell they are talking about."

Agreed. But it also does not mean that one knows nothing about which they post.

Regards, JAFO
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us