The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Pension from prior employer Date:  7/16/2001  5:24 PM
Author:  jlinger Number:  30773 of 88807

"Unless it is a 401k or a profit sharing, you may NOT be able to access these funds currently. The Plan has simply told you the value of your vested benefit" - MDGrabhorn, CFP

That's a really good point.


You really would have to review your summary plan description regarding the provisions for terminated vested participants. Different plans have different rules. An example of this might be a plan that requires you to commence your benefit (in your case a rollover) within a certain period of time following termination. If you do not commence before then, you have to wait until retirement age (as defined by the plan). This is just an example. The point is you need to know your plan. I would call your HR department or Benefits Center to find out the plan rules for terminated vesteds.

Good Luck!

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us