The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: unpaid prop. taxes Date:  7/16/2001  11:22 PM
Author:  acm4tax Number:  52600 of 127616

Just today, I received a letter from my mortgage company saying I was in default of my mortgage and needed to pay the tax and send a copy of the receipt to them immediately.

First: Read the terms of your mortgage. There should be a statement in there regarding the consequences for non timely payments.

Second: contact your mortgage company (in writing too) and explain your situation. They really don't want to foreclose on your house, so as long as your repayment is in a reasonable amount of time (3 paychecks seems reasonable to me). They should be willing to work with you. Make sure you get a manager's approval and not just some clerk's OK. Your house is a pretty large investment to trust a verbal OK from someone who may not have the authority to approve your payment agreement.

Third: Stay cool. Communication is the resolution to your problem.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us