The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/we-have-already-budgeted-for-a-new-roof-for-our-15442474.aspx

Subject:  Re: What will you do with your tax refund? Date:  7/25/2001  3:41 PM
Author:  TMF2Aruba Number:  82956 of 308355

We have already budgeted for a new roof for our house. The old one is 30 years old, and although not yet leaking....it's time to replace it. The $600 (assuming that indeed we *do* get that much) will pay for the dumpster we need to rent, and a few supplies towards the roof. The "savings" will just stay in our investment account, from where we're drawing the rest of the roof money.

Ann, is it a single roof, or does it have a 2nd layer?

The reason I'm asking is because my roof is more than 30 years old, and while I'm tempted to replace it, I just refuse to use the money towards it because I believe there's more life in the roof. In fact, I've had 2 estimates, and each roofer (to my surprise) was very honest and told me that while they'd love the job, they'd recommend waiting, as they believe I could get several more years yet out of it.

If this is similar to yours, you might consider putting away the money you'd be spending for awhile and let it grow a little in the meantime.

Just my 2c :-)

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us