The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/fleg9bo-asks-ltltltltltin-my-view-15463402.aspx

Subject:  Re: Help! My Social Security is in Lucent Date:  7/28/2001  3:27 PM
Author:  intercst Number:  46656 of 734541

fleg9bo asks,

<<<<<In my view, paying government benefits to people who don't need them is a stupid concept.>>>>>

Who decides who needs them? Somebody who makes $30,000/yr might have a difficult time surviving in San Francisco but live in relative comfort in some rural area--should means testing include your Zip Code? Does the couple who has carefully saved all their lives to take that cruise when they retired really need that cruise?

I think the question is should we tax a young worker making $10,000 per year in order to pay a subsidy to a retiree with a $30,000 income so that they can enjoy a cruise? Most liberals would say "Yes, taxes and subsidies for all."

However, when it comes to Social Security, many folks who are politically conservative in every other aspect of their lives want to waddle up to the government teat just like a common welfare mom. "I paid into Social Security all these years and dammit, I want my check!" In reality, all the money you paid into Social Security went to pay your parents' and grandparents' Social Security benefits. Unless they died at a very young age, it's likely they collected far more than they paid in, so some or most of your Social Security contributions already went to your relations.

At least the money stayed in the family. <grin>

intercst
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us