The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ltltquotworking-peoplequot-do-the-15464608.aspx

Subject:  Re: Help! My Social Security is in Lucent Date:  7/28/2001  10:41 PM
Author:  SeattlePioneer Number:  46680 of 726237

<<"working people"? Do the "well off middle class" not work? How'd so many of them get well off, otherwise? If "working people" means "poor" say "poor". If it means something else, say something else. I've had a job putting in 60+ hours a week in a warehouse for about minimum wage and one putting in 60+ hours programming for considerably more. Was I "working" in the former job, but not the latter? What does "working people" mean, as you use the term, because I get the distinct impression that I would be one of the one's taking the hit in your SS scenario?

>>

I mean people who are working and paying Social Security and Medicare taxes, as opposed to people who are collecting benefits.

Of course, another way to finance a failing Social Security Sytem would be to make all benefits taxable as income and then raise income tax rates to bail out the system. Then you would pay for Social Security while you work, and while you are retired too! Maybe that would appeal to you....

Seattle Pioneer
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us