The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/this-could-be-embarrassing-if-i-get-it-wrong-but-15466211.aspx

Subject:  Re: Divorced RE's, be careful! Date:  7/29/2001  2:36 PM
Author:  tsusi Number:  46708 of 745009

This could be embarrassing if I get it wrong but I seem to recall catching the tail end of a news story about a young man whose father had abandoned him as a child. The father never paid child support, was jailed or imprisoned for a crime and eventually was institutionalized. The son is now being required by the State to assist with the expenses for his fathers care.

If true, I have to wonder what legal basis is used to justify this. Even if the father had not abandoned him as a child, it is hard to understand how he could be forced to support his parent.

Although the news story did not elaborate on the legal issues, I read about the situation too, in my local newspaper.

Also, a couple of months ago, a mother wrote into Ann Landers (or Dear Abby) complaining about her ungrateful daughter, who had received a significant settlement from having been the victim of a serious accident, and had no intention of sharing it with her parents. The parents figured it was time for "payback" for the time they spent nursing her back to health.

Ann (Abby) did not disagree with them, but reminded them that it was their daughter's money, and that they probably would have the spent that time with her irrespective of the possibility of ever being "paid" for their efforts. I was appalled at both sides, parents and child.

Susi

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us