The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Rollover IRA from non-US pension fund Date:  7/30/2001  11:59 AM
Author:  TMFPixy Number:  31055 of 88104

Greetings, Jim, and welcome. You asked:

Does anyone know of any regulations that would prevent my rolling my UK fund into a US IRA?

An IRA may accept rollovers or transfers only from retirement plans that are qualified for U.S. taxation purposes. Your pension plan from the U.K. almost certainly does not qualify for that purpose unless it is a plan subject to U.S. laws and its distributions are subject to U.S. income taxes. For details on plans that are eligible for rollover/transfer to an IRA, see IRS Pub 575, Pension and Annuity Income, available for download at


Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us