The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/uncamike-from-the-time-it-was-first-passed-it-was-15477540.aspx

Subject:  Re: Help! My Social Security is in Lucent Date:  7/31/2001  1:04 PM
Author:  HamletsMill Number:  46837 of 734825

UncaMike,

From the time it was first passed it was widely referred to as G.I. Bill of Rights (remember, it comes from the Roosevelt era, when the enumeration of rights was a large part of the political conversation). It is now in Washington called the Montgomery G. I. Bill, after the Congressman who was for many years the strongest advocate for veteran benefits. The official name of the first legislation was the "Servicemen's Readjustment Act of 1944." Besides aid for education, it provided Federal help with medical care, and the buying of homes and businesses.

The modern version focuses primarily on education. And while there might be those who see it as another wasteful expense of those tax thieves, I think that most of us believe that it is an example of how government can perform to the benefit of us all - a well educated workforce creates a stronger economy which by any criteria is a social good.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us