The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/tax-law-training-15510325.aspx

Subject:  Tax Law Training Date:  8/5/2001  9:51 PM
Author:  pmarti Number:  53093 of 120826

I saw my first ad for H&R Block's tax training today, which means it's time for my first plug for the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program.

VITA is an IRS-sponsored program which provides free tax preparation for the poor and befuddled. A companion program, Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) emphasizes help for old people.

VITA is a terrific opportunity to learn basic tax law for free in exchange for a commitment to work once a week preparing returns during filing season. At the site I work at we start about the second week of February and promise to work one 3-4 hour shift per week. The training can be either classroom or self-inflicted.

I've been doing this for years, and it's a wonderful way to learn and keep current on tax law while giving something back to your community. Anyone who's interested can get in touch with the local VITA/TCE coordinator. You'll find contact information for your area on the contact page of www.irs.gov.

Phil Marti
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us