The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: RESIDENT ALIENS Date:  8/6/2001  10:29 PM
Author:  cmmon Number:  53126 of 127613

>>Is there anyone out there that's working in the US as a resident Alien - and knows the ropes as it relates to (especially) Income from overseas - especially if you're only here for a year or so for work...<<


"Resident alien" is the same as "permanent resident" which is equal in tax duties to the US sitizens. Are you working in the USA with visa J-1 or H-1B? That suggests you have an income in the USA. Otherwise you are not allowed to work in this country. If this is J-1, you do not pay MED and SS taxes but pay federal and state taxes. If this is H-1B, or if you are the Green Card holder (which means "resident alien" or "permanent resident"), you pay federal, state, SS and MED taxes. If you have an income earned in the foreign country, you are supposed to pay taxes in that country.

Hope it helps.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us