The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Hobbies & Interests / Gardening and Landscaping

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/my-problem-with-this-is-that-they-water-their-15517896.aspx

Subject:  Re: Is this gross or am I being silly?? Date:  8/7/2001  7:58 AM
Author:  voelkels Number:  4473 of 31113

My problem with this is that they water their garden by diverting the water draining from their clothes washing machine as well as from a hot tub.

The water from these sources should contain no human waste. The water from the hot tub is probably fairly sterile from the addition of chlorine. The water from the clothes washer contains some detergent and possibly some sodium hypochlorate (bleach) so it to may be sterile. The detergent would act as a wetting agent for the soil. I use a few drops of dishwashing liquid in a pint of water myself to saturate bone dry potting soil before I use it.

I remember 20 or 15 years ago there was a widespread drought and water shortage in England. School children were asked to adopt a tree and to water it using their used bath water. Many trees that would have died because of the drought were saved in this way.

C.J.V.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us