The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Hobbies & Interests / Crafty Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/novice-quilter-questions-15523039.aspx

Subject:  Novice quilter questions Date:  8/7/2001  6:51 PM
Author:  MsVeeDub Number:  3 of 7313

Hello!

I've gotten the idea into my head that now would be a fantastic time to begin quilting. I have some experience making basic clothing and slipcovers and such, so I understand basic terminology and own my own little sewing machine. I bought Rodale's Quiltmaking Tips & Techniques and have surfed many quilting websites. I haven't taken a quilting class yet, but plan to.

I've been so excited at the idea of making my very own quilt that I've already startd collecting fabric: all 100% cotton and nothing too lightweight. This leads me to a couple introductory questions:

1. Is there such a thing as a 100% cotton fabric that would not work for quiltmaking? I knw some fabrics are heavier than others, but if I stuck to the heaviest of the heavy I feel I'd be limited in my colors and prints.

2. To prewash or not to prewash? Disclaimer: I'm prewashing my fabrics as I type, heh.

3. Somehow I have the idea that it would be best to use 100% cotton thread and batting. Am I right? I've seen cotton-wrapped polyester thread....is that okay to use?

4. What is your favorite way of piecing? Hand-piecing or machine? Why?

5. Should I plan on using cotton batting? My first quilt will be a silly travel-oriented one to be used camping or in a car. I'm thinking of hand-tying it. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks for your replies!

Susan
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us