The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Sale of rental property Date:  8/8/2001  11:24 AM
Author:  rgrass Number:  53176 of 127753


I just sold my house which I've been renting for the past 4 years. It was my primary residence for 5 years before I started renting. The
net gain will be ~$20000.

My question: Can I sell my stock losers to offset this house gain so I don't have to pay taxes on the gain?

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us