The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: continued education write off for computer c Date:  8/8/2001  7:09 PM
Author:  Charlie48K Number:  53183 of 127616

I am a help dek analyst and looking to start taking classes toward technical certifications(MCSE, CNE, etc.). Am I better off writing the tuition expenses off on taxes or taking a tuition reimbursement from my employer? Do tuition reimbursments get taxed?

These are job related and would be tax deductible on your tax return, but they would be subject to the 2% of AGI limitation so you don't get the full deduction. Also, you'd be paying for it. having your employer pay for it doesn't cost you anything and he gets the full deduction.
See IRS Publication 17. It has a lot of information on filing personal returns.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us