The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  pension plan ... deductible IRA Date:  8/9/2001  6:18 PM
Author:  phasor3 Number:  53211 of 127613


Here is my situation -- I am getting ready to pay my 2000 taxes...finally I have the money for it. My State W2 has an "X" marked under pension plan. This W2 is from a company that I quit on 01/14/00. This company was contributing 2% of my income to a pension plan. I had not made any contributions to it during my years with the company. The company had informed us that we were eligible for 100% of the company's contribution if we were employed for at least 7 years or 20% after 3 years. I quit after 4.5 years. Now I have a 2000 IRA that I am trying to deduct and my accountant is not letting me do this.

My question is -- Am I considered "participating in a plan" when I have never contributed to the plan and also the fact that I had worked only for 14 days with the company in 2000.

Hope I have not confused you.

Thanks for your help!

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us