The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Sale of rental property Date:  8/10/2001  9:09 PM
Author:  jailleres Number:  53233 of 127613

You should see an accountant on this one - you may be able to avoid taxes on all of your gain since you only rented for 4 years. You actually lived in the house for 1 out of the past 5 years and in some circumstances you may be able to erase (not defer) up to $125,000 of gain. This would especially apply if you moved out because of a job change or disability (I think).
Plus there's the issue of depreciation. You have to deduct the depreciation over the past 4 years from your basis, which effectively increases your gain. Did you include that in your $20,000?
Find an accountant who is familiar with the above. Interview them on the phone. I have had bad tax advice that cost me thousands and I have had wonderful advice that saved me thousands. Don't wait till March.

BTW you can deduct your stock losses against house gain. But find out from a pro first.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us