The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Bonds & Fixed Income Investments

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/my-broker-states-that-the-best-he-can-do-on-long-15581139.aspx

Subject:  Re: long term rates Date:  8/17/2001  12:09 AM
Author:  foobar73 Number:  1960 of 35361

My broker states that the best he can do on long term rates on tax free muni's (25 to 30 yrs.) is about 5.00 to 5.2 percent. How does this compare to what you folks know? I know he is looking only in his company inventory. Perhaps if I could find the bonds myself and put them in his lap?? This is a great board, by the way. I am pleased to have access to it. Good evening.

The yields he's giving are in the right ballpark at least. You can look up recent yields on treasuries yourself by following the link from www.treas.gov to the recent auction results. 30-year bonds went for 5.52% just the other day. Your yield will differ, of course, since you're talking about munis, but this should give you at least a base to start from.

If you do a lot of bond trading, you should look to opening accounts with several brokers, and getting multiple quotes that way.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us