The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-recently-filed-a-25k-civil-suit-ino-my-wife-15584353.aspx

Subject:  Re: OT - Consumer Reports on Doctors and Lawyers Date:  8/17/2001  1:43 PM
Author:  BeanieMike Number:  48400 of 726243

I recently filed a $25K civil suit i/n/o my wife for negligence against a restaurant/franchisee for a trip & fall situation. Previously talked to two lawyers - one didn't want it 'cuz "they're difficult cases" and the other seemed too busy to return calls and answer questions.

So I said, screw it. I went to nolo.com and d/l a two e-books on personal injury claims and on representing yourself in court, read the pertinent parts, got the court-approved judicial council forms online, read a little from a civil litigation manual at the law library for the right boiler plate and filed it myself. It was almost a no-brainer.

The real purpose for filing was to toll the stattue of limitaions to preserve my remedies while we are negotiating with the insurance claims people. Don't know if I would want to take it trial by myself, but the Nolo book lays it all out, and for relatively simple matters, I'd take a stab at it.

Why give 30-40% of the settlement to a lawyer who's not doing anything different? Even in situations where I expect to use a lawyer, doctor or other professional/expert, I do a lot of research on the net to get informed and prepared to evaluate whoever I might consider hiring.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us