The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/capital-losses-15672797.aspx

Subject:  Capital Losses Date:  9/1/2001  12:51 AM
Author:  KMHinson Number:  53739 of 121316

Hi there,

This is probably a very elementary question, so I apologize if that is the case. I would, however, appreciate any insight you can provide.

Basically, I'm still sitting on a load of stocks that I don't want any more because I finally realize (well after everybody else) that their business models were flawed. They have all lost a great deal of their value. On one hand I would like to unload them before they lose any more (can you lose more than 99%?). On the other hand, I would like to wait until I have some capital gains to declare so that I can use the capital losses against those. Considering I will most likely not have any capital gains to consider for a while, what should I do? The stocks that have dropped are worth very little compared to what I purchased them for. Should I hold on to them and wait for a capital gain in something else, or is there something I can do to take advantage of the capital loss right now?

Thank you very much for your help.

Regards,
Kevin 'index fund investor from now on' Hinson
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us