The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: IRS sent refund now they want it back?? Date:  9/2/2001  7:56 PM
Author:  acm4tax Number:  53782 of 127617

they might HAVE to settle for $100 a month for the next 13 years

If you are in as dire straights as you indicate, but expect that your financial situation may improve in the future, you could make an Offer in Compromise.

Download form 433A and 433B and 656 from the IRS web site and see how you fare. You may be able to obtain funds from a source to which IRS has no legal right to and settle for a percentage of what you owe. It's a process that takes 6 to 9 months. You just have to agree to pay your taxes timely and in full the five years after they settle with you.
Any refunds you have owed you for the current year and the year of settlement is theirs.

It's a way to clear the slate and start fresh honestly.

Of you enter into a payment plan, that can only last 10 years from the year they assess you. Then if IRS hasn't been able to collect from you, the balance is dropped. Of course all this goes on your credit report which can hurt you in other ways.

Talk with a tax attorney to see what your options are.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us