The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/in-my-case-i-had-300000-invested-into-my-15803810.aspx

Subject:  Re: Why Bother? Date:  9/24/2001  11:08 PM
Author:  Mark0Young Number:  31978 of 74759

In my case, I had $3000.00 invested into my account (not including the matching) I filled out the paper work to roll it to an IRA (hounded is more like it) and then by the time they come around to cutting the check I have lost $1000.00.

That loss was from market movement, wasn't it? If so, the 401(k) investments were sold while down and you will probably buy assets inside the rollover IRA with the prices still done. That means you still have the money "sheltered" for retirement. It looks bad now because of the state of the stock market.

More often than not, the market would be going up, so you would more often be moving money form a 401(k) with its investments up to a rollover IRA with up prices.

If you plan on doing a lot of job hopping, when you have to move money out of an employer's 401(k), move it into a "rollover IRA" and use that "rollover IRA" as your long-term investment place so, except for the transition time from a 401(k) to a rollover IRA, the money can stay in that IRA in long-term investments.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us