The Motley Fool Discussion Boards
Food & Drink / Vegetarian and Vegan Fools
|Subject: Vegetarian Chili||Date: 10/9/2001 1:20 PM|
|Author: LittleCodeKitten||Number: 2758 of 5727|
As a newcomer to this board, I thought I'd offer up my chili recipe.
It's easy to make, very adaptable, and everyone thinks it's yummy.
1.25 cups canned tomatoes
.75 cup bulgar wheat
1 medium onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 stalks celery, chopped
3 carrots, chopped
1.5 cups canned kidney beans, drained
1.75 cups canned garbonzo beans, drained
2 cups tomato juice
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
5 teaspoons chili powder
1.5 teaspoons pepper
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon basil
.5 teaspoon oregano
1. Chop and drain tomatoes. Reserve the liquid.
2. Bring 1 cup reserved liquid to a boil over medium heat.
3. Remove pan from heat and stir in bulgar. Set aside.
4. Heat oil in heavy, deep skillet over medium-low heat.
5. Add onions and garlic. Cook until translucent, about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
6. Add tomatoes, carrots, celery, lemon juice and spices.
7. Cook until vegetables are almost tender, about 15 minutes, stirring
8. Mix in bulgar, kidney beans, garbonzo beans and tomato juice.
9. Reduce heat and simmer about 30 minutes, stirring occassionally.
10. Add more tomato liquid or juice if necessary.
|Copyright 1996-2015 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us|