The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

Subject:  ESPP Spreadsheet Date:  10/16/2001  9:18 PM
Author:  FoolStreet Number:  54651 of 124777

Hi -

I thought I'd just check in with you all and let you know how my ESPP tax preparation is going. I finished up my spreadsheet last night. The hardest part was wrangling with the tax code and understanding the 2 year holding period rule. Basically, I sort the data set by the
"Income Tax Per Share" and "Gain Tax Per Share" columns to determine which lots I should use for a given transaction. I sort to see the most 'Gain Tax Per Share' for charity donations. And I sort to see the least 'Income Tax Per Share' for just plain selling stock and minimizing tax.

This was very confusing for me, because although I understood the tax law and the folks on the board were *extremely* helpful, it was really hard to put together a spreadsheet that was "dynamic" (eg, could be kept current easily w/ new transactions from my ESPP and could give me a snapshot of current tax planning scenarios at a drop of a hat)

If anyone wants to look at my spreadsheet, just let me know how I can post it on the web..

Here's a list of my headings:

Grant Date
Long / Short
ESPP Holding Period Met
Transaction Activity
Lot Number
Sales Price (SP)
Closing Market Price (MP)
Purchase Price (PP)
Purchase Amount
Transaction Fee
Transaction Status
Transaction Date
Compensation Income
Taxable Gain Income (Loss)
Income Tax
Gain Tax
Total Tax
Income Tax Per Share
Gain Tax per Share
Total Tax Per Share

Copyright 1996-2016 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us