The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Religion & Culture / Christian Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/church-questions-15950619.aspx

Subject:  Church questions Date:  10/18/2001  4:15 PM
Author:  payumoff Number:  62683 of 196099

What do you look for when choosing a church?

What do you expect from the pastor of the church you attend? From your fellow parishioners?

How do you determine when it's time to leave your present church?

How do you know if the denomination you've chosen is right for you?

What suggestions would you offer to a couple where one partner felt comfortable with the church they were currently attending but the other partner was unhappy with it?

Can you tell I'm currently having issues with my home church?

Just looking for some insight on how other Christians decide on their place of worship. For a bit of background to my problem, I was raised in a Catholic church but not on an "in church every Sunday" basis. I met Jesus outside of church through personal study and a friend's testimony about 12 years ago. My husband was raised in the Methodist church (his dad was a pastor) and we are currently attending the church he grew up in. He feels most comfortable there, knows everyone, participates in the choir, etc and really doesn't want to consider leaving it.

I, on the other hand, am not happy there. I'll admit that in the past year I have not attended and participated as much as I should have but lately I have absolutely no desire to attend the services because... "????" I can't even put my finger on exactly what it is that makes me feel uncomfortable there. I love the people but honestly, I don't feel that we're being 'fed' there spiritually. I can't see any growth there, not in the church or in us. The 2 pastors that we've had in the past 8 to 10 years as well as the one we have currently have preached sermons that just put me to sleep and at times just made me cringe. For the longest time, I thought it was just the Methodist religion that I was having difficulty with but in early September we attended revival services at the same church and I got more from what that visiting pastor (Methodist as well) had to say than I ever have from the many other speakers that I've heard.

Anyway, I'm interested to see what other Christians have to say about how they found their church home and what they expect from it.

Or at the very least, the various diagnoses of what is wrong with me! ;-) I'll check back later tonight.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us