The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Big losses in IRA... can I use them? Date:  10/22/2001  6:12 PM
Author:  mweinbach Number:  32286 of 88532

During the tech run up of the late 90s it seemed so easy to pick a stock a flip it less than a year later for a healthy gain. My IRA account grew from $45k to close to $100k over that period.

Then things changed... today my IRA account sits at a measely $10k. I am embarrassed to say that my gains (non-tech long term investing) has been in my taxable accounts and my losses have been in my IRA.

So, clearly I am an idiot... but is there anyway that I can offset my taxable gains with my IRA losses? Are there any tricks of the trade that I don't know about (no pun intended)?

Thanks in advance for any info!
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us