The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: The non-profit consultantcy Date:  10/23/2001  10:59 AM
Author:  meddinger Number:  54772 of 127549

It is really up to the business to set the value, but if they want a 'standard', I would go with market value. However, be careful how you write up the donation certificate.

A few years ago I did some consulting work for a non-profit organization. We looked in to getting me a tax break in exchange for my time worked. Unfortunately, individuals can't 'donate professional time' to non-profit organizations for a tax deduction.

I suspect it works the other way for your organization. I wouldn't 'bill time' to a business and ask for a charitable contribution for that specific amount. The business has to make a cash contribution based on what they think the value of your services has been (which could be based on hours worked * market value for skill).

I'm assuming that is what you were planning on anyway, just wanted to be sure :)

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us