The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Profit Sharing so no 401K (long?) Date:  11/11/2001  12:31 AM
Author:  ptheland Number:  32458 of 88766

Are there any vehicles that I can use to make up for the loss of putting my own 15% away that would be tax deductible as the 401K is?

A traditional IRA would be the only other choice.

Already was doing the IRA (in my case Roth) but that is limited and hardly makes up for the 15% that was going into 401K. Am I stuck with taxable accounts?

Pretty much. But remember that the profit sharing plan is money in addition to your own savings, unlike a 401k that comes out of your salary. So if you remain with the same employer long enough to vest in the plan, you'll get additional compensation in the amount of the profit sharing contributions (plus their earnings).

These plans are an incentive to stay with the same employer for a longer term. Employee turnover is expensive to a company, and it's in their best interest to reduce it where possible.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us