The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

Subject:  What to do...? Date:  11/16/2001  5:53 PM
Author:  cfleisig Number:  32566 of 81340

I am taking the "Foolish Seminar" What to Do Now, and it was suggested that I pose my questions here, and that y'all might have some suggestions for me...
I am 55 and my husband is 71. I am the only one who has saved anything for retirement and I started late, like in 1990, ('cause I wasn't a "FOOL" then). My husband started collecting his SS checks when he was 65 (he is working a full time job now) but he still hasn't put anything away for an eventual retirement for himself. He figures he will keep on working till he can't. I have an IRA (rolled over from a previous employer, and since the market downturn and the events of 9-11, it is worth about 1/2 of its original $114,000. I also have about $10,000 in my current employer's retirement plan (403B, or some silly number like that). I would like to retire (someday) but I will still be doing something (like investing in fixer-upper homes with my son and selling them for profit every two years). I don't want to sit on my butt and draw SS and eat dog food (I would have to share that with a very hungry chihuahua). Anyway, my question is...should I wait till I'm 66 to start taking my SS payments, and should I invest them somewhere, or should I wait till I'm over 70 1/2 to get the maximum amount or should I forget ever getting SS since the Feds seem to be gutting it now? Or, one other possibility, take the SS payments as soon as 62 and invest them????

Copyright 1996-2016 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us