The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: What to do...? Date:  11/16/2001  7:35 PM
Author:  WPatch Number:  32567 of 88528

In general, it pays for a married woman who will eventually collect social security on her husband's record sometime in the future (a safe bet when he is 16 years older)to collect on her record as soon as practible. If you retire before age 62 you should collect SS then, if you retire between 62 and 66 you should collect when you retire. Otherwise you should start collecting then.

If your social security earnings are more than 25% higher inflation adjusted than your husband's record it may pay to delay drawing on your social security as then you might still be collecting on your own record after your husband's demise.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us