The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Stocks Y / Yahoo! Inc.

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/tmf-oldironsides-makes-a-good-case-for-why-yahoo-16135769.aspx

Subject:  Re: Why I'm Still Holding Onto Yahoo! Date:  11/19/2001  3:41 AM
Author:  heinlein2302 Number:  13794 of 15581

TMF Oldironsides makes a good case for why Yahoo is not going to die, and may in fact thrive.

I would tend to agree with his overall analysis of Yahoo's prospects, however, the analysis ignores one crucial point: Opportunity Cost of Capital. I don't have to remind this enlightened community that a holding of Yahoo (or any other) stock should be considered as money, not shares. In Philip Fisher's words, the time to sell ('almost never') is 'when there is a better buying opportunity'.

So the key question to ask is, if I had a 100 dollars to invest today, would I invest in Yahoo, or are there better opportunities out there? How about Cisco, another company that is not going to die out, and in fact may come out of the current situation with huge marketshare gains at the expense of weaker rivals?

If Oldironsides thinks that Yahoo is the BEST investment opportunity out there today, then by all means, he MUST hold on to the stock.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us