The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-guess-ive-got-a-bit-different-view-my-parents-16149085.aspx

Subject:  Re: Passing on Assets to Heirs--Goal or Conseque Date:  11/21/2001  1:19 AM
Author:  ptheland Number:  32610 of 75383

I guess I've got a bit different view. My parents paid for my college education, as well as my younger brother and sister. (We were all on our own for grad school.) But none of us took advantage of their generosity. We attended state universities, which really kept the costs down. My brother's was a bit more expensive - he did some work to pay for part of his education. I can't say that having our education paid for has ruined any of us.

I hope to do the same for my son. But he's got bigger issues to deal with. He'll be 2 in a couple of months and was recently diagnosed with cerebral palsy. We don't really know what his ultimate ability level will be yet, although he is noticeably less involved than many of the other children we see at his various therapy sessions.

I don't know how well he will be able to care for himself or earn a living. So our current plans are to leave as much to him as we are able. It looks like his grandparents from both sides will help out, as they did a good job planning for their own retirements and will likely leave some legacy (many years from now!! - I'm not in a rush!!).

I can't help but think of the Proverb: A good man leaves an inheritance for his children's children, but a sinner's wealth is stored up for the righteous. (Proverbs 13:22 if you're interested)

--Peter
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us