The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Family Life / Parents and Expecting Parents

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/definite-yes-on-narnia-and-lengle-she-might-also-16171286.aspx

Subject:  Re: book suggestions for Harry Potter lover Date:  11/26/2001  7:56 PM
Author:  esster Number:  7533 of 42338

Definite yes on Narnia and L'Engle!

She might also like the Hobbit, it's a little tougher than Harry but not much and still full of magic. The Anne of Green Gables series was a fave of mine as an early reader, along with Judy Blume. I could tolerate Nancy Drew, but there's a bit of the 50's mentality, so *you* may not want her reading them. The Famous 5 was fun too, and full of funny British vocab (hedgerows and lorrys and things in the boot).

You might want to go to the library and see what's there, but it has to be said that my memories of library books were Sweet Valley High and other romantic tripe that I wasn't terribly interested in...

On Amazon they list the following as similar authors:
C. S. Lewis
J. R. R. Tolkien
Laura Ingalls Wilder
Antoine De Saint-Exupery
David Colbert

She might also like Beverly Cleary, or the Harriet the Spy series.

Two of my other favorites were old dusty books from my mother's childhood - Heidi, and a book called Ramona (I did a search on Amazon and couldn't find it but I know it's available as an ebook. It's a story about a girl in early California, I think her family was Spanish and it's a really interesting view of the old, old west).

It's a wonderful thing when kids really discover reading - I know it changed my life!!

Ess
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us