The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Family Life / Parents and Expecting Parents

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/similar-series-of-books-for-kids-edward-eager-16172259.aspx

Subject:  Re: book suggestions for Harry Potter lover Date:  11/26/2001  11:16 PM
Author:  AlisonWonderland Number:  7537 of 42341

similar series of books for kids

Edward Eager wrote some books which I loved as a kid. I also enjoyed them when my kids read and enjoyed them. They were written in the late '40s through the mid '50s, I think, so they're much less technological than the Potter books. They're very gentle, each has two boys and two girls, they're geared for ages 8-12, and all have some magic (but nowhere as elaborate).

Magic by the Lake
Half Magic
The Time Garden
Knight's Castle
Seven Day Magic

Another author who wrote some very enjoyable books for the same age was Joan Aiken (daughter of poet Conrad Aiken). They're set in Victorian England, so they can be a bit grim, but not overwhelmingly so. The first two I read are very suspenseful -- my mother stayed up late till she finished the first, and I read them when I was 16 or so.

The Wolves of Willoughby Chase
Blackhearts in Battersea
Nightbirds in Nantucket

I don't know if any of these are even available anymore, but I've seen them in the library.

~~ Alison

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us