The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Family Life / Parents and Expecting Parents

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/the-quotlemony-snicketquot-series-well-i-16181312.aspx

Subject:  Re: book suggestions for Harry Potter lover Date:  11/28/2001  11:13 AM
Author:  jenniebez Number:  7548 of 42342

the "Lemony Snicket" series

Well, I haven't read Harry Potter, but I wouldn't say the series was in the same kind of vein, really. It has no magic at all. But the series is awesome. The real name of the series is "A Series of Unfortunate Events". It features three orphaned kids who demonstrate themselves to be more intelligent, resourceful, and clever than most adults. It is a little dark in it's overall premise (bad things keep happening to the kids), but I don't think too much so. There are murders, kidnappings, and threats, but nothing gorey. However, while good always wins over evil, the "narrator" does not hesitate to let the reader know that it won't do the orphans any good in the end, so it can be a bit depressing.

The "narrator" delivers the story in this dry, straightforward, matter-of-fact way that is very humorous in it's contrast to the quite extrordinary events that take place in the books. And the author has this wonderfully quirky way of defining words a reader may not know, but without being insulting or boring to those who do know the words.

I'd suggest a parent read the first book him/herself beforehand to determine if the series is appropriate for their child. I think it's one of those that you either love or hate, and it will be great for some kids and not right for others.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us