Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/sorry-about-that-i-hit-the-wrong-key-16192018.aspx

Subject:  Re: Tight retirement Date:  11/29/2001  4:27 PM
Author:  Tomcat98 Number:  7562 of 19483

Sorry about that. I hit the wrong key.

Assumptions:
1. Your mom wants to stay in the house.
2. Is healthy and fairly young.
3. Having military retirement also meaning medical care (-) the deductable.

That house payment is a pretty big amount. I would definately try to get that lower. You must look at the costs of doing this weighing it against time to recover. Maybe using some of the 80K to pay down a little when I did refinance. Use the rest to pay off the remaining bills. You could leave a little for emergencies, but there is a lot of equity in that house that could be used in a pinch. I recently got a home equity line of credit for 4.7%. Its .3% lower than prime and moves with prime.

I wonder if the hospital will negotiate the medical bills? I know what they bill me and what TRICARE actually pays. They might be willing to settle for less? All you can do is ask. I'm not sure about medical bill payments if they collect interest on the debt or not. One time when I was in college I had a medical bill to pay and I paid $25 per month no interest. I got the impression the hospital was glad I was paying anything. If you could swing that arrangement that would be nice.

If she doesn't want to stay in the house, can she buy a smaller one with the equity in this one, pay off all the bills and have the remaining insurance $$ to help provide income?

JDW

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us