The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Family Life / Parents and Expecting Parents

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/megan-are-you-my-twin-almost-every-book-you-16196082.aspx

Subject:  Re: book suggestions for Harry Potter lover Date:  11/30/2001  9:23 AM
Author:  Selphiras Number:  7552 of 42342

Megan--are you my twin??? Almost every book you mentioned are some of my favorites from childhood and today!!!!

Tamora Pierce's Alanna books are fantasic. I couldn't say enough about them. There is some magic, but the most focus is on a girl who wants to be a knight and goes in her twin brother's place to become a page and then a squire. She's a very strong female character who I loved so much I want to name a daughter Alanna (unfortunately, my DH doesn't like the name!).

And the Westing Game--I've never heard anyone else mention that book. My brother and I read it to peices. I could still go and read it again and enjoy it even thought I know then entire answer to the mystery!

Robin McKinley rocks, too. The Blue Sword is great, as are her reworks of fairy tales. (These may be too old for her, however.) I loved Beauty so much I can't stand any other tellings of Beauty and the Beast.

One caution on Raold Dahl--skip _The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar and Six More_. It is not a kids book like his others. There's one really excrutiating story of bullying/abuse that I still can imagine with perfect clarity that is too awful for kids to read.

I'm a little confused on your reference to George McCarthy and The Wizard of Oz. That series is by L. Frank Baum. And yes, has delightful stories after WofOz.

My last rec doesn't fit with Harry Potter, but we've drifted a bit into childhood favorites--_Rutabaga Stories_. I think I first fell in love with the funny title. The stories are equally odd and delightful.

Selphiras

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us