The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Family Life / Parents and Expecting Parents

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/there-have-been-some-great-recommendations-in-this-16198228.aspx

Subject:  Re: book suggestions for Harry Potter lover Date:  11/30/2001  1:51 PM
Author:  Parkway Number:  7553 of 42338

There have been some great recommendations in this thread! Some old favorites, and some new (to me) books that you can bet I'll be hunting down at my local library.

Some of my favorites that haven't been mentioned:

Anything by Lloyd Alexander, but especially the five books in the Chronicles of Prydain.

Most books by Zilpha Keatlty Snyder, including Black and Blue Magic and my favorites (unfortunately out of print), the trilogy that begins with Below the Root. Her most famous book is probably The Egypt Game, but I prefer her more fantasy-oriented works.

Patricia Wrede's dragon series, starting with Dealing with Dragons is a favorite of mine in the "fractured fairy tale" genre - kind of like Diana Wynne Jones's "moving castle" books (which I just read for the first time last week, and loved!)

Ann McCaffery's Dragonsong and Dragonsinger are also kid-appropriate, though the dragon series as a whole should wait until she's older.

Probably more suitable for older kids, but worth an honorable mention in a discussion of kid's fantasy/adventure books, are John Christopher's tripods trilogy (starts with The White Mountains) and, to a lesser extent, the trilogy that starts with The Prince in Waiting.

- Parkway

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us