The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: first time capital gains filer Date:  12/17/2001  10:05 PM
Author:  RoseSmeller Number:  56090 of 127753

Author: skisheekee
yes I did take a loss on the 1 stock I sold in 2001, since I am just using the standard deduction, do I still use Schedule D? or can I still use form 1040EZ. Thanks.

Sorry, no 1040EZ for you this year. You'll have to use form 1040 and the Schedule D. But don't worry, it's not that bad. You'll just fill in the same information as on the 1040EZ plus your capital loss. You can ignore the spaces for filling in other things that don't apply to you (assuming that's the only change in your tax situation this year).

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us