The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Roth IRA taxes Date:  1/1/2002  3:46 PM
Author:  Mark0Young Number:  56571 of 127751

You need to let your tax preparer know how much you've contributed to your Roth for the year.

Other than just as a double-check for eligibility (which I think is a good-enough reason), the tax preparer realy doesn't need to know--there is no place to declare Roth IRA contributions. (This is unlike non-deductable Tradtional IRA contributions where one needs to establish one's "tax basis".)

See IRS ( Publication 590 (, specifically the introduction of Chapter 2 ( has this statement:

Contributions not reported. You do not have to report Roth IRA contributions on your return.

The Roth IRA custodian(s) is(are) responsible for notifying the IRS of Roth IRA contributions.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us