The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: New 2002 Roth Contributions Date:  1/6/2002  7:35 PM
Author:  ptheland Number:  33133 of 88498

In otherwords, I can contribute $3000 [to a Roth IRA] this year, being a Californian?

Yes - you're still a US taxpayer. The question relates to what happens if California does not conform to the latest Federal changes. Will the earnings on the extra amount ($1000 or $1500 depending on age) still be tax-free for California taxes at withdrawl? Will we have to pay a California tax on a portion of the dividends/interest/cap gains inside the Roth?

I don't have any answers to these questions. We'll have to wait and see what the legislature does.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us