The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: New 2002 Roth Contributions Date:  1/6/2002  7:54 PM
Author:  bigcaat Number:  33134 of 88758

<<<In otherwords, I can contribute $3000 [to a Roth IRA] this year, being a Californian?>>>

<<<Yes - you're still a US taxpayer. The question relates to what happens if California does not conform to the latest Federal changes. Will the earnings on the extra amount ($1000 or $1500 depending on age) still be tax-free for California taxes at withdrawl? Will we have to pay a California tax on a portion of the dividends/interest/cap gains inside the Roth?>>>

Ok. I get it. That makes sense. So, for me, the answer to my question is "No, I won't be contributing more than 2k until I know it's not going to create problems in the future."

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us