The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/check-out-the-fool-board-on-drip-plans-and-16413666.aspx

Subject:  Re: DRIP in a Roth? Date:  1/7/2002  4:46 PM
Author:  lambent1 Number:  33147 of 75384

Check out the fool board on Drip plans, and perhaps try re-posting this question there. I have found the people there to be excellent sources of information.

I'm relatively new to investing, but I believe (so don't quote me on it), that there may be some companies that offer fee-friendly drip plans with an IRA (it depends on the plan) if you wanted to not use a broker in the transaction at all. I believe it would depend on the individual company's own drip plan. Perhaps the drip plan board could help a bit more.

Also, a couple of "pseudo-drip" options are now available, such as sharebuilder.com and buyandhold.com. I'm not sure, but I recall that one or both of those offer an IRA option. The danger there would be twofold: (1) will they raise their fees again? (2) will you invest a sufficient amount such that the $4 per transaction or whatever they charge for their monthly fee will still be competitive?

hope this helps --

lambent1
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us