The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Tax on sale of Grandma's home Date:  1/9/2002  12:01 PM
Author:  ptheland Number:  56965 of 127533

Can I maybe claim her as a Dependent and have the home treated as primary residence for a Dependent?

If you are providing over half of her support, and her income is less than the personal exemption amount for the year, she might qualify as your dependent. Unlike other people, parents (and grandparents) do not have to live with you to be a dependent. But they still have to meet the other dependency tests. The value of the housing you provide is part of her support.

However, the home will still not be your primary residence. You, not your dependents, need to live in the house to qualify for the exclusion. So I'm afraid the house is not your primary residence.

If I must treat this a capital gains, is the tax implication similar to capital gains on stock?

Yes. You've owned it for more than a year, so it will qualify for long-term capital gains at favorable tax rates.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us