The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/another-question-what-about-roth-iras-the-fed-16432243.aspx

Subject:  Re: No tax law changes for California Date:  1/9/2002  8:24 PM
Author:  ptheland Number:  33196 of 86118

Another question: what about Roth IRAs? The Fed limit went up to $3000, but the State not. But since Roths are after tax dollars, does this have implications? If things stay this way, will contributing over $2000 mess up my Roth? Do I have to somehow figure out how to pay state taxes on any earnings (this year and in years to come?) on the portion above $2000?

Darn good questions. I'd love to have the answers to them. But I haven't heard any discussions or guidance on how that difference will be treated. Another possibility is that the taxes on any differences in law between the Feds and CA will be deferred until the Roth money is withdrawn. That's what happened to IRA's back in the early 80's when CA limited deductions to $1500 while the Feds were at $2k.

I know I have until April 2003 to make the contribution, so I guess I will can do the wait and see thing. But I was wondering...

Wait and see is always an option. You could also get the $2k into the account now (there won't be any differences on that much of an IRA) and wait for guidance on the balance. Or you can just contribute to the Fed limits and find out how CA will treat it later.

Even better, write to your state representatives and let them know they should be passing a retroactive conformity bill -- soon!

--Peter
Copyright 1996-2017 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us